Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Introspection

My boss asked me to write a short essay about my goals for the summer. After struggling for a very, very long time, I came up with the following. Regardless of the fact that my boss never asked to read it, I was still happy I was able to finish it, and figured I would share it here.
My reasons for wanting a career in law are simple. Lawyers are wealthy, powerful, intelligent, and generally well respected. Years of a competetive environment and high family expectations fostered a need to excel, to become someone with the aforementioned traits. I performed will in high school so I could get into a good college and further my progress towards the lifestyle I desire. I currently attend a prestigious university, studying an innovative and lucrative discipline. Until recently, I told myself and whoever that asked that I planned to combine my goal of becoming a lawyer and my bioengineering major with a career in intellectual property law. I can recall a very specific moment that I realized I had no idea what the process to becoming a patent lawyer actually entails. There is a possibility that my hard work in my current studies has really little effect on my becoming a lawyer at all. I decided I had been in denial about the fact that being a lawyer requires more than a respectable undergraduate degree. It thus became my goal this summer to learn as much as possible about the life of a lawyer; this includes everything from daily life to law school experiences. I want to meet real clients and find out what court is really like, as opposed to assuming it resembles some dramatic TV show. After this summer, I imagine myself able to feel more prepared than any other first year law student who expects to become the next Jack McCoy. I hope my experiences will ultimately aid me in my goal of becoming a successful lawyer.
Who knows? Maybe I'll look back on this in a few years and realize how insightful I was after all...

No comments:

Post a Comment