Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Day 1

So in general, I always used to dislike the idea of blogs. I find them a little pretentious, assuming people want to read what you have to say, or are thinking about. But lately I've been having some thoughts and experiences I thought I would write about, and thought blogging might be a good creative outlet for writing, which I haven't done is a very long time. So really, if you are reading this, I am completely flattered. Thanks :)
So this summer, I have the pleasurable opportunity to work for a tech company in the Bay Area. I will not specify which one, nor specific location. Regardless, I have been waiting for a long time to get to work in what I consider a "real" job with a "real" office and a "real" badge, etc. I must say, it really is everything I thought it would be - corner office, here I come! Some of my friends can attest to hearing me say the following many times: I can't wait for a job where I get to wear a suit and heels every day! Well, I don't exactly wear a suit; it's more like business casual attire. For those of you that might not know what MY definition of business casual is, I will provide it now. For women: skirts, blouses (incl. button ups), no "spaghetti straps," no flip flops or sneakers, subtle makeup, pants are acceptable but never any denim (except, of course, on casual Fridays!). For men: pants (again, no denim), a nice clean shirt, either button up or polo, nice shoes (One of my pet peeves for men is when they wear sneakers with slacks. Please, get one pair of comfortable leather shoes to wear to the office!), and clean facial hair. Gosh, men are really easy to dress.
Anyway, so keeping my guidelines in mind, I went shopping with my mother, who offered further guidance, and bought a few key pieces that could match many outfits. In case this matters, I would consider my style very classic - I like buying basic pieces that I can wear with many different things, and then dressing up with accessories to make each outfit unique. So today, I am wearing a khaki pencil skirt (boys: google image), and black polo tee tucked in, and black heels with a gold buckle. Earlier this morning, I needed to use the restroom. As I walk into the bathroom, my manager came out of one of the stalls. Now, as an added note, I despise public restrooms. Not for the cleanliness or anything, but I feel a significant discomfort when I know others can hear me, well, doing what one does in the restroom. Consequently, I don't like running into people I know in the bathroom, because I always feel as if every time they see me from then on, they'll be reminded of the sounds of me using the toilet. Silly, I know, but it's just how I feel. So not only do I run into my manager, but she compliments me on my outfit! Here's the issue: if I don't want to say a quick thanks and turn my back on her, because I feel that is a little awkward to your superior, and it emphasizes how bad you have to pee. But on the other hand, I don't want to stay and have a chat - the bathroom is not for chatting! Add this dilemma to my previous discomfort with public restrooms, and you have a thought forming that I needed to write down.
The point is that no one prepares you for all the little things that can happen when you enter the real world, and as I experience all of these events/situations, I will write about them. You can practice for an interview or brush up on your Excel skills, but nothing will ready you for an awkward bathroom encounter with your superior.

No comments:

Post a Comment