Saturday, December 18, 2010

Home is Where This Little Girl's Heart Is

A few nights ago, I drove home from my friend's house just a few miles away at after 1 in the morning. We had just finished watching Inception on his new BluRay player (super awesome). Of course, me being a thinker, and having experienced a super creepy random power outage in the middle of the film, was pretty creeped out on my drive home. I have never driven on a main street where I only see black in my rearview mirror. I speed home, anxious to get in my bed, and as I step out of my car, I look up to the sky. It seemed like every star out that night was ablaze. I could point out some constellations; my favorite was always Orion, as the linearity of the belt just seemed so perfect to me. This experience immediately threw me back to high school, where I would just walk around my neighborhood or even just sit on my driveway and stare at the stars. It's the only place close to civilization I have experienced on a regular basis where you can see the stars on any clear night, regardless of the light pollution. Seeing that night sky, my night sky, made me so incredibly happy to be home. By now I had forgotten my insecurities, and felt warm and safe. Between the time that I got out of my car and got ready for bed, it had begun to rain. I lay awake in bed staring out my window at the rain fall past the streetlights, listening to its pitter-patter on my roof. So relaxing. It's so great to come home to the comfort of the familiar - going to the same gym for workouts I did in high school, driving past the same stores, most of which still stand, the same guys working at the Greek restaurant that still flirt with me, the same punks still sitting outside of the coffee shop because what else do you do on a Friday night in Cupertino. It's also cool to see how new things have become incorporated - new TJ's down the street? Awesome! I can't wait to see my friends. I've been really taking some personal time to destress from this quarter and mentally sort out my life, and haven't had the energy to go be social. But I know when I do, I'm going to really enjoy immersing myself in the throwback.

On an ulti-note: Beware-Ho 14! Everyone should sign up. Now I just need a kickass hat.

Team Planet Express Ship is coming together well. Pretty sure we have a finalized roster and our jerseys are in. Success!

On a I'm-suddenly-pissed-off-Primal-note: My mother just informed me that our chronic ant problem has extended to my almond meal that I bought yesterday. Yesterday. Still a lot left. It's relatively cheap, except, you know, I'm a poor college student. I also got in a stupid fight with my parents yesterday about how they wouldn't even buy eggs as we had ran out since they had eaten them all the night before. Gosh it's so frustrating when, not only do they support me in the cases where it's nothing to them (just go buy some eggs! you need them anyway!) but apparently I'm supposed to know that we'll have ants get into any semi-open container?! And then my mom throws in the little guilt bomb: "yeah, we had to throw away a lot more than just your stuff..." I feel no guilt. Just dislike.

Excuse the little rant, looks like my noon kickboxing class is going to be quite energetic.

Edit: Just found out my class was canceled to be replaced by some stupid holiday 2 hour exercise thing. Sure, I could go. Or I could do what I feel like and mope about it. Considering I was super sick yesterday, guess I'll just take the weekend off. Not my day.

No comments:

Post a Comment