Thursday, May 5, 2011

MetCons or A Life Changing Exercise Mentality

First, go here.

I was fortunate enough to be introduced to the concepts of Metabolic Conditioning earlier this year. At first, the routines seem simple. Some situps, some squats, whatever, right? WRONG. What I have found is that these workouts are all about pushing yourself. High intensity. Getting your heart rate up. Pushing yourself. Finding that breaking point and pushing yourself past it. Each workout can be modified, changed, invented anew, to suit your needs.

For example, today I took a normal routine I enjoy (5 pushups, 10 squats, 15 crunches) and changed the crunches to v-situps. Makes it a million times harder. Lucky for me, my roommate came in close to my failing point with those situps. Even luckier: she hears me say "fuck it, I'll just do situps," turns around in her chair, and screams at me, "NO! Let's go! Give me five more!" She counted me all the way up through that last set of 15.

Which bring me to the next awesome part of this type of workout - the ability to make it into a partner exercise. I was especially surprised to find that I really enjoyed this changeup, being so incredibly independent when it comes to working out. Maybe it stems from insecurities, but I especially dislike working out with guys. Why would I want to watch someone obviously stronger than me just kick my ass? Perhaps that is also partly my competitive nature, but I enjoy "racing" myself, not someone else who will obviously beat me. Where's the motivation there? Anyway, last weekend I tried a workout of this nature with my (very) athletic boyfriend. Wow, not only did I work out with a guy, but with someone who, though I am in a fantastic relationship with, still try so hard to impress? YUP! We decided to modify a workout ("Mexican Standoff" - I tried to find a link to explain it, but couldn't, then realized it doesn't really matter) we had previously heard about to the following: 150 pushups for time. Only one person does pushups at a time, while the other person hangs (in whatever way they want) from a pullup bar. When either person needs to switch, you stop, and do 10 squats before switching. I think we did it in 10:27 or something. But that doesn't really matter to me. What matters to me is that it was fun! I was surprisingly motivated to work hard with another person there. Just getting one more pushup in each set meant he had to do less overall, just hanging for one more second, helping him count down, motivated him to do the same for me. And laying on the ground for a good few minutes afterwards feels so amazing.

I couldn't stop giggling after; the rush of endorphins was exhilarating. So get to it! Make up a workout! What is your favorite exercise? Situps? Pushups? Overhead Squats? Put them together and do 'em quickly. It's 15, 10, even 5 minutes of your life you won't regret.

1 comment:

  1. As the aforementioned roommate, I would like to clarify that I did not "scream" at Maya; I barked the encouragements to her. And it helped! She did all 15 v-ups instead of doing crunches. Booyah. :D
    Also, these workouts are definitely worth checking out, they're harder than you'd think but they don't take a long time and are a perfect pre-shower routine.

    ReplyDelete