Monday, May 9, 2011

On Things

I have come to the conclusion that I seriously dislike how dependent on objects I have become. We joke about checking our email all the time on our smartphones, but I'm not sure we can comfortably go without them. We are so dependent on watching our sports games on our TVs while recording that show with the TiVo box. Buying something new makes us feel better.

Last week, my car wouldn't start. I admit it, I freaked out. I was so overwhelmed by the thought of not being able to drive that the worries turned into a mini life crisis. I thought to myself, "Lucky me, I was going to drive up north with my boyfriend, and my coworkers can give me a ride to work. I also walk to campus, so I can still attend class." Now I can say that I wasn't lucky. There really are just ways to function without a car. My roommate takes the bus to work every day. Sure, he doesn't need to. He definitely has enough money to buy himself a car and pay for gas. But he doesn't have to. And he gets along just fine.

This whole experience just makes me want to truly disconnect. Note, I say want to. I don't think I actually will, but just because I'm not sure what the overall benefit will be, other than proving a point. I think the closest I will get will be to not have phone or internet access during my upcoming trip to Israel (but I will have a phone on me in case of emergencies, so maybe that's not truly disconnecting). Here's my thought: During that 10 day trip, what is REALLY going to happen that requires my immediate attention? Probably nothing. If something even does go wrong, I'm sure it will get worked out or can wait until I return.

I just feel sad that I think more people would rather plug into their iPods than listen to the birds chirp in the morning. They're so used to the convenience of driving that instead of walking that mile to the post office, movie theater, nearby restaurant, they will get in a car. That instead of meeting up with a friend for coffee they will just Skype. That entertainment revolves around video games and television instead of just going to a park with some friends.

Unfortunately, I have no solutions. I hope that one day we will all decide to disconnect and encourage our friends to do the same, but until then, I'm going to enjoy playing solitaire on my Droid during boring lectures. And celebrate my new battery (yes, that's all it took) by taking a trip to San Diego this weekend. Hooray!

No comments:

Post a Comment