Monday, July 13, 2009

Returning from a Sick Day

Last Friday, I woke up feeling quite ill. Having just taken training regarding disease spreading prevention (specifically, the next flu epidemic - watch out for those chickens), I decided to follow the wise advice and stay home. Indeed, having an extra day of rest allowed me to return to work today in a semi-healthy state. I was under the impression, though, that I would be faced with a full inbox and leftover tasks that would take me at least a day to catch up. No luck there, folks! I got a few emails regarding contact information which took me a good 90 seconds to consolidate. I had to do my weekly Monday assignment, which took me about an hour and a half. I also got a meeting invitation set for 5-6 tomorrow, so now I get to stay late on Tuesday.
On the plus side, last week I worked on the same project for two days straight. It basically involved a lot of Excel work. I believe the other intern in our group is not very familiar with Excel, so I had to walk her through a lot of stuff about formatting. Very tedious for someone who has been fortunate enough to have used Excel frequently in the past. It gave me a really bad headache, there were a few unnecessary complications, and it literally took two days of two interns doing formatting and consolidation to finish. Thus, probably the only upside of being sick was that I didn't have to spend Friday morning re-rechecking (yes, for the third time) the data we had compiled.
Lesson learned: rough mornings hurt, but not nearly as much as losing a days pay. Yep, interns don't get sick hours. Surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment