Monday, July 6, 2009

Summertime

Welcome back, devoted fans. Last week my company was on shutdown, so I obviously didn't have many office experiences to share with you. I can say this: having a week off every month is really nice, as it gives me a chance to have some kind of summer vacation. This past week I went shopping, and visited camp. And I slept, a lot.
But on the way back from camp, Alex and I had a conversation regarding if we would ever return to work there. You see, I felt very sad at some points this weekend, as I was watching the kids I had previously been a counselor for be all grown up. Basically, I felt old, and that I was missing out on one of their most critical growth periods. They're now going into junior year, and I know that that summer at camp was probably the most influential on me. I had been a counselor for the same kids for three years previously, and feel as if now when they need me most, I'm not there. But how could I be? I have to get a "real world" job, and get payed. But here's the question: once I get into law school, will I be able to perhaps return to be on senior staff, or maybe direct the Avodah or CIT program? What does one do during the summers of graduate school? More work? I just assumed yes, but perhaps not.
Am I wasting my summer freedom working, or at least working at a deskjob as opposed to something more fun? I guess it's all about priorities - I chose to spend my time improving my resume, and perhaps learning about a career and/or company I might be interested in. Others don't see this as very important at the current moment. In this competetive job market, I feel the need to get an edge, but is that feeling misplaced? Will my work here really affect anything other than my bank account? Of course, there's no right answer, and every situation differs per person. Too bad there's no manual to tell you all about it...
For a mini office experience: today I'm working on a report with a coworker who is also here only for the summer. We were both working with excel, yet while I was trying to consolidate information, she was trying to simplify the labeling of files. My point is when sharing a file, I wish there were no such thing as "Read-Only," and more than one person could access and change a file at a time. Gosh darn it, Excel! I basically spent much of my morning waiting for her to finish with a file, then taking my turn, then letting her work, and having to write down stuff to remember to type in somewhere else. It was very frustrating, but at least it killed some time!

No comments:

Post a Comment