Tuesday, July 21, 2009

What it Means to Forget Your Badge

First off, I have a habit of taking off my badge right as soon as I get in the car after work and placing it in my purse, sort of like a celebration of the day's end. For some reason, I didn't do that yesterday. So I get to work and I'm rummaging through my purse trying to find where I put it the evening before, and lo and behold - no badge! Of course I'm instantly anxious, wondering if I have to drive all the way home lest I can't get into the building. So I call Alex, and yes, he finds my badge still clipped to my pants from yesterday. Lame! I decided to try the front desk; this isn't the first time this has happened, right? Of course, the lady gives me a name tag and buzzes me in. I just have to make sure that I stop by her desk if I want to be let in at any time. I also got a little anecdote about how she decided to get french toast sticks this morning even though she's diabetic and of course she spills syrup everywhere and was spending the morning cleaning the desk with sanitary wipes so she hopes she didn't hand me anything sticky (deep breath). So overall, it was a learning experience. Your badge equates ease, but you can survive without it. I'm just wondering how I managed to remove my pants without noticing this big plastic thing attached to them!
By the way, the VP of Sales and Marketing just walked by with a rolling bag. Nothing says power like the loud sound of smooth wheels rolling on carpet (except, of course, a great suit). And we laughed at those kids in high school.

1 comment:

  1. At my office you can't even get in without a badge until 10am. This is because it's assumed that there will be only one or two people here before then, so for their safety, everyone has to badge in. Ah, the joys of developer hours!

    ReplyDelete